03/05/2019: "Add Your Farm To A Tour?"
As we begin the transition back to the warmer months, there are preparations underway to organize the 2019 San Juan County Farm Tours. These annual tours are an important (and fun!) way of showcasing the agricultural heritage of our beautiful islands, providing a valuable source of marketing and visibility both to tourists and fulltime island resident and strengthening connections with our local food systems.
This year's tours are being coordinated by a group of various island stakeholders with support from the Agricultural Guild, Lopez Community Land Trust, San Juan County Conservation District, WSU San Juan County Extension, San Juan Island Co-op, Orcas Food Co-op and others.
Are you interested in participating in this year's farm tour? There are various degrees of participation. Any agribusinesses, value-added product suppliers, and chefs are encouraged to participate! We hope to broaden support for island markets as much as possible and encourage partnerships between growers and vendors so that all facets of local agriculture are represented.
The schedule of the tours are:
* SJI on Sept 21 & 22 - Contact Maggie at SJI Co-op - firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com) , 360.370.5170
* Lopez on Oct. 5 & 6 - Contact Meike Meissner - firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com) ,360.820.1008
* Orcas on Sept 28 & 29 - Contact Molly Donovan - firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com) , 360.376.3276
Please review the dates and answer the following questions:
1. Name of farm/business:
2. Are you willing participate in the 2019 San Juan County Farm Tour? If yes, what dates?
3. Are you willing to host a tour at your farm or business? If yes, are you also open to hosting other farmers/chefs/producers at your property for workshops/lectures/demonstrations?
4. If you are unable to host at your property, would you be interested in hosting an event at another farm?
5. If you are willing to participate in the 2019 farm tours, can you share any ideas you have for how you would like to participate (e.g. farm tour, animal demonstration, lecture, workshop, etc.)?
We want to market the island tours starting in spring so let then know as soon as possible.