07/30/2012: "Free SJI Composting Workshop"
“How to build & use a 3-bin composting system.” *Saturday, Aug 4, 11am to 2 pm, SJC Fairgrounds.
Sponsored by SJC Public Works, WSU Extension and Ag Program, San Juan Islands Conservation District, and the WA Department of Ecology.
You are invited to a free workshop at the Fairgrounds to learn how to build a 3-bin composting system. Helen Venada, Waste Reduction & Hazardous Waste Coordinator for SJC Public WorksI states "’ve attended a lot of composting workshops over the past several years and I’m always impressed with the new and useful information I learn each time. This workshop will build a 3-bin composting system (used to manage larger amounts of yard/green waste) and teach us to create a healthier garden and yard."
The bins will be used as a demonstration at this year’s County Fair.
WHY SHOULD WE COMPOST?
• Composting is nature’s recycling system that will make your plants healthier and will improve your soil’s water-holding capacity.
• You can save money on your trash disposal bill while turning your lawn clippings, plant materials, and other green waste into a free soil amendment.
• Composting on-site is more convenient than hauling your yard waste to a disposal location; it’s also more hygienic to compost your food waste than to mix it with your trash that gets trucked, ferried, and railed to the mainland.
• Composting saves landfill space and helps to keep “resources” on-island.
• Burning leaves and brush produces air pollution…so why not add them to your compost pile instead?