06/27/2012: "Master Composter/Recycler Training"
photo- Bastyr Center
FREE Master Composter/Recycler Training. Participants will learn all the ins and outs of composting, soil building and recycling in this four-week, sixteen-hour program.
Participants will learn all the ins and outs of composting, soil building and recycling in this four-week, sixteen-hour program. Trained volunteers will be expected to provide 20 hours of expert advice and answers to community questions at events, schools and workshops.
Classes will take place on these Thursdays from 9a.m. to 1p.m.: June 28th, July 5th, and July 12th at Skagit Valley College on San Juan Island and will be videoconferenced at the public libraries on Orcas and Lopez Islands.
Learn how to “take your food and yard waste to a better place” and consider purchasing an Earth Machine composter at reduced cost.
Training will be limited to 60 participants.
WHY SHOULD WE COMPOST?
• Composting is nature’s recycling system that will make your plants healthier and will improve your soil’s water-holding capacity.
• You can save money on your trash disposal bill while turning your yard and kitchen waste into a free soil amendment.
• Composting is convenient and easy…you won’t have to bag up your yard waste and take it to the solid waste facility.
• Composting saves landfill space; it’s more hygienic to compost your food waste than to mix it with your trash that gets trucked, ferried, and railed to the mainland.
• Burning leaves and brush produces air pollution…so why not add them to your compost instead?
Please do your part to encourage other islanders to compost and recycle more in San Juan County as part of our community waste reduction effort. RESERVE YOUR SPOT SOON!
Call WSU Extension 378-4414 to sign up or to get further information