03/08/2011: "Continuing Concern Over Sex Offender’s Move To SJI"
David Franklin Stewart, [Not to be confused with local David S. Stewart -Ed] 58 years old was convicted for sexually assaulting three male victims ages six to 12 years old, but is now on parole, and the State is considering allowing him to live on San Juan Island.
According to unconfirmed reports the authorities are considering San Juan Island in part because his wife of 35 years has a home here, and he is willing to wear a GPS bracelet for 90 days.
There are meetings scheduled to discuss the issue, the first is on Tuesday (4 p.m.) at Roche Harbor Pavilion and -if his move here is approved by the State- on March 15, 6:00 p.m. at the Mullis Center, where local officials will be on hand to answer questions.
It also is reported that Mr. Stewart will be free to live wherever he wishes in two years when his probations period comes to an end -that is, if he does not violate probation.
One of the contact numbers to register a concern and/or ask questions is Greg Freeman at 360 428-1443.
LEVEL 3 Notification Guidelines
Washington State law requires that the general public be notified of information on Level 3 registered sex offenders. Information must be relevant, accurate and necessary in it's detail. Level 3 offenders are considered to be a HIGH RISK to re-offend in the community and meet most, if not all, of the following criteria:
* Offender exhibits predatory tendencies as defined by RCW 71.09.020
* Criminal history of repeated sexual offenses, or other acts that include violence
* Offender has NOT completed a treatment program
* Sex offenses directed toward strangers and/or the general public
* Offender expresses intention and/or desire to continue committing offenses
* Offender diagnosed as a sexual predator by mental health professional
* Offenses have been directed toward individuals with whom the relationship has been established or promoted for the primary purpose of victimization.