06/16/2010: "REALTORS® Will Sponsor CAO Workshop"
The San Juan County Association of REALTORS® is sponsoring a workshop Friday, June 18, 10 am to 12:30 pm at the Anacortes Library (1220 10th Street) featuring special speakers on key topics regarding Critical Area Ordinances (CAO) and Shoreline Master Plan updates currently being considered by local governments around the state, including the San Juan County.
**Topics covered by the presentations will cover the followings:
1) an approach to implementing CAO regulations that balances governmental needs to protect critical areas with the needs of property owners; and
2) legal overviews on non-conforming uses and the Shoreline Master Program Update process.
* Robert Furstenberg is an ecologist who has spent the last 15 years working on various aspects of salmon recovery in the Puget Sound area.
* Dr. Lyden C. Lee is the founder and principal ecologist at L.C. Lee & Associates, Inc. in Seattle. He is a nationally recognized wetland and river science and regulatory expert and Director of the National Wetland Science Training Cooperative.
* Jana Hansen, Director of Community & Economic Development Department for the City of Mount Vernon, WA., with several years experience in environmental and urban planning.
* Attorney David Reynolds is an attorney with extensive experience on land use, environmental, shoreline, Indian Law and other matters, including regulation at all levels of government and owner of Dennis D. Reynolds Law Office on Bainbridge Island.
* Attorney Charles Klinge is a land use attorney with extensive experience with environmental and land use issues and is a partner in the law office of Groen Stephens & Klinge LLP in Bellevue.