11/01/2008: "Why The Flags At Half-Staff?"
Last year, Congress amended the U.S. Flag Code to give governors the authority to lower flags when a state resident in the military is killed in the line of duty.
Other government entities, citizens and businesses are encouraged to join in this recognition.
On Thursday the order was given that flags at all Washington state agency buildings be lowered to half-staff Thursday, October 30, in memory of U.S. Army Maj. Robert D. Lindenau. Lindenau was killed in action in Charbagh, Afghanistan, October 20.
Governor Gregoire will direct the flag to be lowered to half-staff on these occasions:
* Peace Officers Memorial Day, May 15;
* Patriot Day, September 11;
* National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, December 7;
* In the event of the death of a principal federal and state government official;
* In the event of the death of a state government employee killed in the line of duty; and
* In the event of the death of a member of the armed forces from Washington state while serving on active duty.
Other government entities, citizens and businesses are encouraged to join this recognition.