09/19/2008: "A Lesson Well Learned"
By Lt. Miklos P. Preysz,
Orcas Island Fire Department: On Sunday, September 7 at 7:15 pm, Orcas Island Fire Department responded to a reported Kitchen Fire on the North Shore.
Several volunteers and Eastsound Engine 21 with 3 firefighters responded to the alarm with Lt. Paul Turner arriving on scene at 7:18 to find that the fire had been extinguished prior to our arrival and only found smoke in the residence.
Now it’s not remarkable that the fire was out upon our arrival. Several quick thinking citizens have accomplished this feat before. What is remarkable is HOW and WHO put the fire out.
Around 7:12, a young lady had the unfortunate incident of a sudden grease fire in the frying pan she was using to cook dinner. Thinking quickly, she called 911, gave them the information needed, then grabbed a box of baking soda and successfully extinguished the fire. She saved further damage to the kitchen and home, without the use of a fire extinguisher.
The remarkable part about this event is the fact that Sorel Hughes is a 13 year old middle school student who had the calm and intelligent thought process that very few adults are able to call upon in a crisis. Sorel averted a very serious loss of property and possible injury.
I am writing this narrative so I can publicly commend her for bravery and discipline in a very true emergency. I would also like to acknowledge that having Fire Prevention courses taught in the schools does make a difference.
Thank you Sorel for taking the time to listen and learn in school, and Maxx Jones for taking the time and effort to put together these invaluable courses.
Submitted with admiration and appreciation.