07/11/2017: "New Law On Use Of Cell Phones"
(Gov. Jay Inslee signs new law in June of this year)
SJC Sheriff Ron Krebs is reminding drivers than on July 23rd, 2017 the new Distracted Driving law goes into effect. The new law makes it illegal to use hand held electronic devices while you are driving. You must now be 100% hands free at all times.
No hand-held cell phone use while driving.
• Even when stopped in traffics or at traffic light
• Includes all electronic devices even tablets, laptops and video games
• No typing messages or accessing information
• No watching videos or using cameras
You CAN use your device if you are:
• Hands-free and can start use by a single touch or swipe of your finger.
• Parked or out-of-the-ﬂow of traffic • Contacting emergency services
Under Washington State law this is a primary offense which means you can be pulled over for holding your cell phone. Tickets for driving while using hand held electronics will go on your record and be reported to your insurance provider.
San Juan County experiences a huge influx of people walking, running, biking and driving on our roadways. Our job is to keep everyone on the roads safe, including the person using the cell phone. The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office will be actively looking for people both talking and texting on their cell phones.
Please pull over to the side of the road if you have to use your cell phone. Let’s all have a happy and safe summer.